Simon is an expert in education and employment law. He has over 15 years’ experience advising schools, colleges, associations and individuals on all aspects of education law, including employment and safeguarding matters.
As a governor, Simon understands the needs and pressures faced in the education sector. Simon and his team advise on all aspects of education law. Simon is currently dealing with academy conversions and providing employment law support to schools and colleges, including advice on restructuring, grievances and long term sick leave.
Simon has developed an expertise in regulatory issues and regularly advises clients on safeguarding and pastoral care matters
He also has substantial experience advising clients on all aspects of employment law. Simon is well known for his expertise in employment litigation and appeared as an advocate at the Supreme Court in the education case of Duncombe v. DCSF
Simon also advises professors, members of the SMT and teachers on employment matters
Recent work includes -
- Advising a college on a dispute arising out of a sponsorship arrangement
- Advising an independent school on safer recruitment, including delivering bespoke training to the SMT
- Advising a MAT on the termination of a director
- Advising a college on a restructuring
- Advising an independent school on a merger
- Advising a college on the acquisition of two sites
Under Simon's leadership, the Education team was shortlisted by The Legal 500 in its recent Annual Awards - one of only two UK Education teams to achieve this.
Recent publications written for include the Law Society Gazette, The Lawyer, The New Law Journal, Education Today and The Times.
“Simon has many years of experience in the education sector. He has always struck me as being a very safe pair of hands, very alive to the commercial realities of litigation and always trying to devise the most effective strategy for his clients. Very easy to deal with, very knowledgeable."
”I have been very impressed by Simon Henthorn, who has been exceptional in his client handling skills and knowledge of the law in this area. Appreciated for his calm, learned professional approach.”
Chambers & Partners
“Engaging and thoughtful’ practice head Simon Henthorn ‘combines an impressive attention to detail with a thorough grasp of the issues and a confident approach to litigation to secure the best results for his clients’. ”
The Legal 500
To meet some of Simon's Education team colleagues please click here
Experience and qualifications -
- Qualified in January 2000
- Specialist in Employment since 2000
- Specialist in Education since 2004
Professional memberships -
- Education Lawyers Association
- Employment Lawyers Association
- European Employment Lawyers Association