First-class expertise and experience
Our education team has expert knowledge of the sector. They provide a full range of workplace services to the governors and senior management teams of schools, colleges and universities, as well as to employees and students. Recent feedback from Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession and The Legal 500 includes:
- “The team is excellent. Everyone we have worked with are approachable, friendly and engaging". Client
- “I found the team very responsive, thorough and very good value for money. I would happily use them again and also would recommend them to others.” (Client)
- “Simon Henthorn is an outstanding lawyer, articulate, knowledgeable, courteous and a pleasure to work with.” (Client)
- “Doyle Clayton, and in particular Simon Henthorn, has been an especially good, helpful and straightforward source of advice and support. He has an excellent understanding of both legal issues and the context within which we operate. He is intelligent, proactive and creative in suggesting possible solutions to problems. A really safe pair of hands and a trusted source of both tactical and strategic advice and guidance.” (Client)
Education and related employers we regularly help and advise include:
- Further education colleges
- Independent schools
- Multi-academy trusts
- Maintained schools
- Preparatory schools
- Professional associations
- Trade unions
Issues we regularly help education sector employers with include:
- Academy conversions – fixed fee packages for converting your school to academy status and also advice on sponsorship arrangements, restructuring your MAT, and carrying out due diligence.
- Academy company secretarial services – advice for company secretaries and governors of Academy Trusts on company law compliance and best practice.
- Data protection – advice on a wide range of data protection issues, including handling data subject access requests and requests for pupils’ records.
- Education law – advice on admission appeals, exclusions and all pastoral care issues.
- Employment law – advice on the full range of employment law-related matters, such as contracts of employment, TUPE, dismissal, redundancy and discrimination, as well as Employment Tribunal claims.
- HR support – support and advice on policies and procedures, recruitment and retention. We can also manage all aspects of grievances and disputes including interviews.
- Health and safety – support to ensure institutions comply with health and safety legislation and good practice, including running health and safety audits.
- Immigration – specialist immigration advice for education institutions on enrolling non-EU students and employing non-EU employees.
- Parental disputes – we have a track record of defending schools facing complaints from parents.
- Safeguarding – urgent advice and support for safeguarding issues. We can also help you draft your safeguarding policy, train your staff, and prepare for inspection.
If you are an individual (teacher, lecturer, professor or support staff) we will be able to help you. Find out more about how here.
The team is lead by Simon Henthorn. He is well known for his work in the education sector, and recommended by Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession for being “very easy to deal with” and “very knowledgeable”. Simon is a governor of St Stephen’s School in Twickenham.
Click here to meet some of the team.