Employment law support for individuals working in the education sector
Help and advice for academics, professors, teachers and support staff
Our Education team is experienced in supporting academics, professors, teachers and support staff with their employment concerns.
Doyle Clayton started out over 20 years ago as a boutique employment law firm and we continue to specialise in advising all kinds of employees and employers on all aspects of employment and workplace law. Our specialist Education team are also experts in the education sector and are experienced in advising both education institutions and those working in the sector.
If you have a problem at work then we’re here to help. Our team is experienced in supporting and advising employees who are facing issues including:
- Allegations of misconduct or gross misconduct that could lead to dismissal
- Being discriminated against by their employer or colleagues
- Being placed at risk of redundancy
- Allegations of poor performance
- Feelings of being mistreated and undervalued
- Being transferred to another employer under TUPE transfers
- Potential professional misconduct proceedings
- Being offered a settlement agreement
We can advise you on your concerns, no matter how big or small, and explain your employment rights and options so you can decide how to proceed. This might involve bringing a formal grievance against your employer, contacting ACAS, lodging a claim in the Employment Tribunal, making a data subject access request and/or discussing possible settlement. We’re here to support you every step of the way and our goal is to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
To give you some examples of the kinds of cases we’ve been supporting on recently, we have been advising individuals on:
- Challenging a discriminatory retirement policy from appealing the university’s decision to retire the employee, to bringing a claim for age discrimination in the Employment Tribunal
- The fairness of a redundancy process and negotiating a favourable settlement package
- Bringing a claim in the Employment Tribunal for unfair and wrongful dismissal, following an unfair investigation into the professor’s conduct leading to him being dismissed for gross misconduct
- Unfounded allegations of gross misconduct brought against a teacher with severe mental health difficulties, including the claims she could bring against the college
Why use Doyle Clayton?
As well as offering timely and practical legal advice that is tailored to your unique situation and needs, we believe that the following sets us apart from other law firms:
- We act for both individuals and education institutions in the education sector. This provides us with a unique and invaluable insight into each side’s perspective and concerns, which many solicitors do not have.
- High quality service that is recognised in The Legal 500. Our team of specialist education solicitors is ranked in the top tier by The Legal 500 for its work for individuals in the education sector. Our Head of Education, Simon Henthorn, is also ranked as a Leading Individual and Liz Timmins (Legal Director) is ranked as a recommended lawyer in the education sector.
- We are education law specialists. Our education team supports many different educational institutions with their legal, HR and compliance issues, so we understand the sector and its challenges.
The team is lead by Simon Henthorn. He is well known for his work in the education sector, and recommended by Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession for being “very easy to deal with” and “very knowledgeable”. Simon is a governor of St Stephen’s School in Twickenham.
Click here to meet some of our Education team.
Don’t just take our word for it! Here are some examples of recent feedback from The Legal 500 and from our clients:
- "The education team at Doyle Clayton are true specialists in employment matters in the education sector, and they understand how education law interacts with the employment of academics and teachers. In my opinion, they are the go-to firm for professors, lecturers, and headteachers with employment disputes."
- “The (Education) team is excellent. Everyone we have worked with are approachable, friendly and engaging".
- “I found the (Education) team very responsive, thorough and very good value for money. I would happily use them again and also would recommend them to others.”
- "They are a strong team. Enthusiastic, resourceful, personable, and experienced."
- "Doyle Clayton's impressive' education practice is singled out for its dual employment and education law expertise, and its ability to offer clients comprehensive advice on safeguarding, pastoral care issues and dismissals. The team is led by Simon Henthorn, who has over 15 years of experience in the sector, and is praised for 'cutting through the 'bluster' and bringing 'common sense to where it is lacking.' The group handles sensitive matters for headteachers, senior staff, and schools. Elizabeth Timmins specialises in providing immigration law advice to schools and colleges."
- “Simon Henthorn is an outstanding lawyer, articulate, knowledgeable, courteous and a pleasure to work with.”
- "Simon Henthorn, the Head of the Education team, is unparalleled. He knows the education sector like the back of his hand, he has a good strategic mind for a case and he is excellent with clients. He radiates decency and inspires confidence. I worked with him on a very complex case involving a client with significant health needs, and he went above and beyond for the client.
- "Simon Henthorn has forensic attention to detail and exceptional work ethic which gets the best results for his clients. Innovative and courteous, he is a very capable lawyer.’‘Simon Henthorn is a first-rate practitioner. He is a pleasure to work with and is experienced and dedicated."
- “Simon (Henthorn) is a calm, thoughtful and measured professional. He is approachable, amiable and willing to engage whenever we have asked.”
- “We have been very impressed with the support provided by Liz (Timmins). She is very professional, diligent and thorough and we appreciated the regular updates regarding the status of matters. She is commercially astute and very easy to deal with. We have nothing but praise and recommendation for Liz and would have no hesitation in recommending Doyle Clayton and Liz to our clients.”