Special Educational Needs Solicitors

Legal Advice and Guidance for parents and carers in London & UK

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) solicitors

Our specialist team has a wide range of experience in providing advice, assistance and support for pupils, parents and young people who require help with SEND matters.

Decisions made by schools, colleges and specialist providers, as well as local authorities, may not always be lawful, reasonable or rational, and we can support you with a wide range of issues, including:

  • Receiving incorrect education, health or social care provision
  • Unfair exclusion
  • School offer appeals.

How our Education lawyers can support you

We will help you understand how the law and guidance can work for you, and what steps can be taken to resolve an issue. We are focused on finding a resolution that meets your needs, to secure the outcome you desire. 

Areas we can offer support with, include:

  • Requesting/challenging an EHC (Education, Health and Care) needs assessment
  • Challenging a refusal to assess your child
  • Assisting with the annual review process
  • Assisting at the SEND Tribunal
  • School transport for students with SEND
  • Disability discrimination
  • Accessing the right support and education
  • Liaising with the local authority
  • Ensuring Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) compliance - through judicial review proceedings if necessary
  • Claims against a school or local authority
  • Direct payments for your child’s education.

Special Education Needs is a complex field of law under constant change, and the work we do is broad and thorough. We are dedicated to the rights of children and young people to obtain the best possible education.

We accept referrals from any part of England and Wales, and whether you are a parent, carer or student, our services will be specific to your individual needs. We are sensitive to how upsetting disputes with your school or local authority can be, and our team will aim to facilitate good relations between all parties whilst we conduct your legal matter, working in collaboration where necessary to achieve a successful outcome.

Our fee structure

We will provide advice regarding the different ways of funding your case, and offer both fixed fees and hourly rates. In addition, we can put you in touch with a specialist crowd-funding platform, Crowd Justice, and we can work with your insurance company, if appropriate.

Fixed fee SEN packages




Education advice meeting 

A meeting to discuss challenging a decision, or appealing.


SEN transport/travel arrangements

A consultation and advice from a legal adviser, relating to a child’s SEN transport/travel arrangement.


EHCP evidence review

A review of the EHCP as well as expert report. We’ll advise if there is enough evidence to achieve the changes you want and what further evidence and action may be required.


EHCP appeal to the SEND Tribunal

We offer a capped fee for an EHCP appeal to the SEND tribunal. This covers our services from an initial consultation, through to the hearing at the SEND Tribunal.

£10,000 - £13,000 plus VAT

A disability discrimination claim – SEND Tribunal

For bringing a claim for disability discrimination in the SEND Tribunal, we offer a capped fee which excludes advocacy fees from counsel or a solicitor.

£7,000 - £9,000

Special Educational Needs FAQ's

What does SEND mean?

If your child has special educational needs or a disability (SEND) it means that they have a learning difficulty or disability that will make it harder for them to learn than other children. If your child has SEND, they will need extra help to enable them to progress. 

If you are concerned that your child is not making adequate progress, or you think they may have SEN then you should talk to their teacher straight away. Your child’s teacher may think it appropriate to involve the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) at the school at this stage.

What is an EHC plan?

According to the Government,

An education, health and care (EHC) plan is for children and young people aged up to 25 who need more support than is available through special educational needs support.

EHC plans identify educational, health and social needs and set out the additional support to meet those needs.”

The plan should be easily understood by the child/young person, parents and institution involved. It should include who is required to do what and when. In addition, it should include how often the plan should be reviewed. If the plan is for someone who is beyond year 9, it should include provision to help them to prepare for adulthood and independent living. The plan doesn’t have any fixed format and each local authority can choose its own style. 

Can I request an EHC assessment?

If the school cannot meet the needs of your child, you can ask the local authority to carry out an Education Health and Care (EHC) assessment of your child’s needs. 

This is a detailed investigation into what needs your child has and the kind of special help they require. The local authority should decide within six weeks of receiving the request whether to carry out an assessment of your child’s needs. 

If the authority decides not to carry out an assessment, you will have the right to appeal against this decision to the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Tribunal. You must do so within two months of the decision.

What does the law say on SEN?

The Special Education Needs code of practice (2014) covers the 0-25 age range. It includes guidance relating to disabled children and young people as well as those with SEN. There is also new guidance for education and training settings on taking a graduated (assess, plan, do, review) approach to identifying and supporting pupils and students with SEN. Teachers are responsible for assessing, planning and supporting pupils with an SEN. They should be supported by the SENCO (Special Education Needs Coordinator). Where children have more complex issues, they will have an EHCP. The SENCO works closely with work colleagues, pupils, parents and outside agencies. You can find more information about the Special Education Needs code of practice here

Can I lodge an appeal at an SEN tribunal?

To lodge an appeal with the SEND tribunal you will need to complete an appeal form and send it to the tribunal together with your grounds of appeal, that is, your reasons for appealing. 

You should also send any documents which support your appeal. It is extremely helpful to have an independent educational psychologist report that supports what you are saying your child needs. 

Your appeal will be registered and sent to the local authority who will be given a timescale for responding to your appeal. The tribunal will also issue a set of directions which will set out how your appeal will proceed from that point on and provide you with a set of deadlines for providing the tribunal with any further information. 

The decision of the tribunal following the hearing will be binding on the local authority. 

Our Special Educational Needs solicitors have experience with this and can help you with this process.

Contact us

For further information how we can support you with SEND related matter, please either contact a member of our Education team directly, or submit an enquiry form.

Amara Ahmad

Amara is one of the UK’s leading specialist education and children’s law solicitors. An expert in special educational needs (SEND) and safeguarding she works closely with parents, schools, and charities to ensure that children and young people receive the support that they need to reach their potential in education.

  • Senior Associate
  • T: +44 (0)20 7329 9090
  • Email me

View profile

Simon Henthorn

Simon is an expert in education and employment law. He has over 15 years’ experience advising schools, colleges, associations and individuals on all aspects of education law, including employment and safeguarding matters.

  • Partner & Head of Education
  • T: +44 (0)20 3696 7172
  • Email me

View profile

Fachiema Menjoh

Fachiema is a specialist education legal adviser, providing comprehensive legal advice on a daily basis, and ensuring clients understand the SEND (special educational needs and disability) tribunal process and guiding them through how to appeal an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plans).

  • Trainee Solicitor
  • T: +44 (0)20 3031 6631
  • Email me

View profile

Jonny Robinson

Jonny is a Legal Advisor in the Education team. He also assists lawyers with a wide range of Employment, Data Protection and High Court matters.

  • Legal Advisor
  • T: +44 (0)20 7778 7234
  • Email me

View profile

Submit an enquiry form

Need an Expert Education Lawyer?

Speak to one of our team.

Register for updates

Subscribe to our regular newsletter which contains a mixture of legal news, latest cases, useful downloads, and information on our latest webinars/podcasts.

Back to top