Academy Conversions

2 mins

Posted on 05 May 2016

Academy Conversion for Schools

Fixed Fee Academy Conversion Services for Schools

Doyle Clayton's education team will provide your school with a comprehensive support package for a fixed fee. The service will be delivered by lawyers who specialise in this sector.

Our Academy conversion service includes:


  • We will draft the Memorandum and Articles of Association as part of the incorporation of your Academy Trust.


  • We will advise you about the obligations to transfer the staff under TUPE including the information and consultation process.

Commercial Support

  • We will draft and negotiate the funding agreement with the DfE and the Commercial Transfer Agreement with the local authority. 

Land arrangements

  • We will coordinate the drafting and negotiating of the terms of the land transfer/lease and will oversee the post completion matters such as registration of the interest at the Land Registry.

Statutory Consultation

  • We will give practical guidance in relation to the statutory consultation process.

Pensions Advice

  • We will give advice on the pension obligations the Academy Trust will have in relation to its staff.

Fixed fees

  • Although fees will vary depending on school size and complexity of the transaction, we will be able to provide you with a fixed fee giving you transparency and confidence in the knowledge that you will know at the outset exactly what your legal fees will be to convert to Academy status.


  • The Government suggest that most conversions can be carried out within 3-4 months. We will work with you to plan the stages of the transaction and help you draw up a timetable 
  • Please click here for the DfE’s deadlines
  • Please click here for an example of a timetable with recommended steps

Further information

The articles published on this website, current at the date of publication, are for reference purposes only. They do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Specific legal advice about your own circumstances should always be sought separately before taking any action.

Back to top