Twenty Tradespeople Die Every Week From Asbestos Related Diseases
The Health and Safety Executive has launched a safety campaign to increase the awareness of asbestos related risks.
The campaign is aimed at all tradespeople (including construction workers, carpenters and painters and decorators) who, according to a new survey, could come into contact with deadly asbestos on average more than 100 times a year. The statistics are based on the results of a survey of 500 tradespeople in Great Britain carried out by Censuswide in September 2014, commissioned by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) which also revealed that:
- 1 in 7 people surveyed believed that drinking a glass of water will help protect them from asbestos dust;
- 1 in 4 people surveyed thought that opening a window will help to keep them safe;
- Only 1 in 3 people surveyed were able to identify all the correct measures for safe asbestos working;
- Half of those surveyed made at least one potentially lethal mistake in trying to identify how to stay safe; and
- While more than half of those surveyed knew that asbestos could be in old buildings built before 1970, only 15% knew it could still be found in buildings built up to 2000.
A key feature of the new campaign is a a free web app that helps people identify where they could come into contact with asbestos as they go about their day-to-day work and which provides tailored help on how to deal with the risks.
The campaign also includes includes:
- Free asbestos safety kits distributed through TradePoint stores across Great Britainr
- Promotion of key messages through commercial organisations that interact regularly with the target audience
- National press advertising to raise awareness of the dangers of asbestos and drive use of the free web app from November
- Delivering messages through stakeholders.
The articles published on this website, current at the date of publication, are for reference purposes only. They do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Specific legal advice about your own circumstances should always be sought separately before taking any action.