First-class expertise and experience
Our education team has expert knowledge of the sector. They provide a full range of workplace services to the governors and senior management teams of schools, colleges and universities, as well as to employees and students.
We provide employment law advice and workplace services to:
- Further education colleges
- Independent schools
- Multi-academy Trusts
- Maintained schools
- Preparatory schools
- Professional associations
- Trade unions
If you are an individual (teacher, lecturer, professor, support staff), find out how we can help you here.
Our expertise for employers in the education sector
Our capabilities include:
- Academy conversions – fixed fee packages for converting your school to academy status and also advice on sponsorship arrangements, restructuring your MAT, and carrying out due diligence.
- Academy company secretarial services – advice for company secretaries and governors of Academy Trusts on company law compliance and best practice.
- Data Protection – advice on a wide range of data protection issues, including handling data subject access requests and requests for pupils’ records.
- Education law – advice on admission appeals, exclusions and all pastoral care issues.
- Employment law – advice on the full range of employment law-related matters, such as contracts of employment, TUPE, dismissal, redundancy and discrimination, as well as Employment Tribunal claims.
- HR support – support and advice on policies and procedures, recruitment and retention. We can also manage all aspects of grievances and disputes including interviews.
- Health and safety – support to ensure institutions comply with health and safety legislation and good practice, including running health and safety audits.
- Immigration – specialist immigration advice for education institutions on enrolling non-EU students and employing non-EU employees.
- Parental disputes – we have a track record of defending schools facing complaints from parents.
- Safeguarding – urgent advice and support for safeguarding issues. We can also help you draft your safeguarding policy, train your staff, and prepare for inspection.
The team is lead by Simon Henthorn. He is well known for his work in the education sector, and recommended in the legal directory Chambers for being “very easy to deal with” and “very knowledgeable”. Simon is a governor of St Stephen’s School in Twickenham.