Laura is a Chartered Legal Executive specialising in employment law and immigration advisory work.
With her qualification route, Laura has considerable experience of advising corporates from multinationals to entrepreneurial fast-growing tech businesses as well as executives and other individuals. Areas she regularly advises on include:
- Employment Tribunal claims: With the removal of Employment Tribunal fees, the floodgates have well and truly opened, and bringing a claim is now more accessible than ever. Employment Tribunal claims require careful management, and Laura works for both claimants and respondents on claims involving issues from employment status disputes to complex disability, gender and race discrimination.
- Executive hires and exits, and post-termination restriction enforcement: These continue to be a busy area for Laura, in particular helping clients to successfully achieve injunctions and prevent senior employees from taking and using highly sensitive confidential information. Senior departures are always a concern and Laura works with organisations to ensure that statutory duties are taken care off, intellectual property protected and external and internal communication managed to minimise disruption.
- Settlement agreements: Settlement Agreements enable employers to reduce the risk associated with ending an individual’s employment, while for employees they can mean additional payment and benefits over and above the legal minimums. Laura regularly assists companies in putting together employee settlement package and advises departing employees on the terms and effects of these sometimes complex agreements.
- Employee relations and general HR advice: Often HR teams may just want to run a situation past a lawyer, to understand the potential risks and benefits. In addition to regular and ad hoc help and advice, Laura also provides an “HR helpline” for employers of varying sizes supporting both HR teams and managers.
- Grievances and disciplinaries: Grievance and disciplinary procedures can be taxing, regardless of whether you are the instigator or investigator. For employers, Laura regularly guides them through the process, helping with outcome letters through to preparing staff Performance Improvement Plans. And advising individuals, she guides them through the entire process including helping to structure grievances so that issues and concerns are explained clearly, and positive outcomes quickly achieved.
- Redundancy and TUPE: Organisational changes can arise from financial constraints, business opportunities or a simple need for efficiencies. Whether outsourcing part of a business, streamlining a business unit or making difficult decisions, Laura provides sensible and practical help and advice so that change is achieved quickly and cost effectively.
- Business immigration: Immigration has never been a hotter topic, and Laura provides rounded business support and advice on all corporate immigration needs and issues including Tier 2 (General) and Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer). She also advises on practical steps to comply with the Home Office’s strict requirements, both for sponsored workers and for the sponsoring companies.
Experience and qualification
- Qualified October 2019
- CILEx Diploma in Law and Practice
- Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEX)
- Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
- Immigration Law Practitioners Association (ILPA)