A highly experienced HR practitioner, Jonathan has built and led high performing HR teams across a range of industries and in the process ensured that HR and people issues are at the forefront of organisational strategy and success.
Jonathan is an engaging, strategic and practical HR all-rounder with a reputation for quickly identifying and implementing creative, commercially-focused and cost-effective solutions which ensure continuous improvement and add lasting value.
Previously HR Director for Harley-Davidson, Swim England, Jockey Club Racecourses and an international motor racing series backed by Ferrari, Jonathan built and led the Rugby Football Union's (RFU's) HR function and is the Independent HR Director for a County Football Association as well as a member of the Equality Working Group of a UK Premier League football club. He is also a judge for the HR Director of the Year Awards, an executive coach and a professional mentor.
With a strategic, practical and proactive approach, he has successfully improved employee relations, engagement, morale, performance management, teamwork, succession planning, recruitment, retention, reward, recognition and return on investment in people for a wide range of clients including the NHS, English Heritage, the Science Museum, the Royal Albert Hall, the Royal Opera House, Oxford University Press and the RSPCA.
His track record includes -
- Significantly improving employee relations and resolving major disputes with trade unions for fast-paced leisure and entertainment venues
- Delivering efficient and cost-effective recruitment drives and customer care training programmes for joint venture catering and corporate hospitality companies
- Designing innovative leadership development programmes with clear competency frameworks, 360 degree feedback processes and practical continuous improvement plans
- Delivering seamless TUPE transfer programmes, mergers and acquisitions with harmonised employment terms and conditions in the public, private and third sectors
- Establishing a collaborative culture with shared core values and consistent behaviours across disparate international sales and marketing subsidiaries
- Developing SMARTER performance objectives and clear KPIs with measureable people management dashboards and balanced scorecards to inform and improve strategic decision making
- Halving staff turnover, improving talent management and succession planning, and developing more cost-effective sales incentive schemes for international event management businesses
- Significant financial savings (seven figures) in accrued liabilities by persuading every employee through collective consultation to switch to more sustainably affordable pension schemes
- Smoothly handling redundancy and restructuring consultations producing a 15% annual wage bill reduction whilst improving employee morale, motivation and engagement ratings
- Successfully defending a wide range of high-profile organisations at Employment Tribunals and smoothly resolving complex grievance and disciplinary issues
- Guiding nationwide sports governing bodies on successful achievement of the Advanced Equality Standard for mainstreamed diversity and inclusion
- Improving the inclusive engagement, recruitment, retention, integration, induction and development of large volunteer work forces for nationwide charities
- Delivering cost saving efficiencies and major change management projects for a range of nationwide animal welfare and conservation organisations
- Producing clear, user-friendly and practical performance appraisal processes, employment policies, procedures, handbooks and management tool kits
- Developing a range of integrated and holistic programmes to tangibly improve employee health and well being
- Ensuring best practice corporate governance, safeguarding and risk management
- MA in HR Management and Industrial Relations
- Chartered Fellow of the CIPD