James is an experienced employment solicitor advising on all aspects of the employment relationship and the problems encountered by organisations and individuals in the workplace.
|“James provided great help and guidance. His advice was perfectly pitched for the situation at hand and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to others.”|
|“Friendly approach while working through some tricky technical issues.”|
|“James had an upfront approach from the very start, providing direct and practical advice on the things that were and weren’t worth worrying about.”|
|“James’ support over the past two years has been invaluable. He has helped me on contentious and non-contentious issues and has always provided thoughtful, commercial and cost-effective advice. Thank you!”|
James specialises in advising both organisations and individuals on all areas of UK employment law.
Much of his time is spent helping employers manage workplace disputes including discrimination, bullying and harassment, victimisation and whistleblowing - dealing with all related Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal claims as well as County Court and High Court actions.
Other employment issues he regularly advises organisations on include performance management, grievance and disciplinary procedures including suspension, sickness absence, disability and reasonable adjustments, wrongful and unfair dismissal, equal pay as well as redundancy and consultations. He also works with businesses of all sizes, including start-ups and scale-ups, to produce and tailor documents including contracts and service agreements, policies, procedures and handbooks.
A data protection specialist, James also provides guidance on data protection and GDPR compliance helping clients to understand their obligations and ensure that their documents and procedures are in line with the current rules and regulations. This also includes data protection impact assessments for businesses considering new data protection measures. Where needed he also helps clients manage data subject access requests quickly and cost effectively.
James also regularly works with individuals on all aspects of the employment relationship including settlement agreements for individuals existing large organisations as well as advising on contracts and also whistleblowing and discrimination claims
Recent work includes -
- Negotiating six-figure settlement for financial services individual client relating to disability dismissal
- Negotiating high value settlement for tech sector individual related to disability discrimination, performance management and dismissal
- Acting for global fashion label to defend high value whistleblowing, race and sex discrimination claims
- Helping private equity firm to advise its portfolio companies on surviving the Covid-19 downturn, including sickness absence, holiday, furlough, redundancy and data protection
- Negotiating long-term sickness benefits and exit arrangements for individual diagnosed with chronic disability
- Acting for global trading platform to defend high value whistleblowing and breach of contract claims
- Reviewing and updating handbook policies for global fashion brand
- Drafting and reviewing employment terms and service agreements for international tech platform
- Advising global fintech group on sensitive aspects of C-suite exits
Publications and seminars include -
When lockdown is lifted – what next for your workforce (Dan Begbie-Clench and James Morrison discuss what happens when the lockdown is lifted and furlough comes to an end. What plans should employers start making now to prepare for the coming weeks and an eventual return to the workplace?)
Experience and qualifications -
- Qualified in March 2017
- Specialist in Employment Law since 2017
Professional memberships -
Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)